Stony Point Academies & Programs of Study
Click the links below for information
The Academies at Stony Point
- A small learning community, comprising a group of students within the larger high school who take classes together for at least two years, taught by a team of teachers from different disciplines
- A college preparatory curriculum with a career theme, enabling students to see relationships among academic subjects and their application to a broad field of work
- Partnerships with employers, the community, and local colleges, bringing resources from outside the high school to improve student motivation and achievement.
Career academies differ from traditional academic and vocational education because they prepare high school students for both college and careers. Academies provide broad information about a field such as health care, finance, engineering, media, or natural resources. They weave this theme into an academic curriculum that prepares students for two year and four year institutes of higher education or for the world of work.
- Current high school students will have the opportunity to sign up for any of the Academy classes offered at their home campus
- Home campus is based on the boundaries in which the student resides with a parent/guardian
- Students are required to apply for the IB Programme Spring of 8th grade
- All students will enter the 9th Grade Program in 2010-2011
- 9th grade students who did not select an Academy in 8th grade will select an Academy Spring of 9th grade year.
- Academy selection can change if student interests change